7/2/13

Five pebbles of the Roman God

First point of context: I am of roman descent, I believe. From the romans that lost themselves in england as the empire fell apart. I know tht my history has been since then exceptionally american. We were trappers, gold miners, and explorers. Every man in our close history has either gone adventuring, or lived a life that precipitated adventure. I believe very fully that the spirit of the setting sun and adventure nestles in my bones, whether or not it does. 

Second point of context: I love the story of david and goliath.  I remember a picture from my childhood storybook bible, and I will never release myself from this myth. David is charged, as a boy(as a roman boy, by the looks of my little book) to find five smooth stones by the riverside and to go and face goliath. He slays the giant with only one. 




Pebbles of the Roman God

I have 
Five pebbles
Just like 
Five seeds
All my own
The stones
Remind me of home
Migrant of rome
To challenge he
Who makes the land rumble

I have
A small man
Just like
A best friend
That I will never understand
Childlike,
He sows 
And he knows
That truth and justice betters all blows
He's the undistinguished  unmasked maker
Here to represent the savior
Passionate through the lord's own heart
That you've been looking at
Through a strange sepia strength
That you've developed at length
To milk the justice from his claws
To scream out beauty from his paws
But which never seems to give
It takes
Because you just can't create god for god's sake!

So now I have
Five reeds
Grown from
Five seeds
That seem to wander from my needs
Like the roman sentries 
That scoured the mist
Of a land lost in the ocean
Of chalk and moorish cliffs

Where is your empire now?
My friends,
Who is your savior now?
Because I don't know 
I never will

So while we're here
While we're left in our wasteland
And break the virgin snow
why not let these pebbles grow 

No comments:

Post a Comment